Time to fire up the grill and plug in the slow cooker. Barbecue beans are a perfect side dish, and the slow cooker makes them incredibly delicious. This version is vegetarian and gluten free. Our slow cooker barbecue beans are also low in cholesterol and an excellent source of dietary fiber, folate, and manganese.
Slow cooker recipes are great any time of year. They are easy to make and make dinner preparation convenient because there is not a lot of kitchen time. In the case of these baked beans, all you need to do is prep your ingredients, toss them into the slow cooker, and return a few hours later to one of our most savory side dishes. The slow cooker is one of the best tools in your kitchen and you will love the time it saves when it comes to preparing healthy, filling meals for your family.
Just as impressive with these baked beans, they offer a healthy way to enjoy barbecue. Sometimes barbecue recipes utilize bottled barbecue sauces, which can contain a lot of sugar and use preservatives to keep them tasting fresh. Our beans are made in a fresh barbecue sauce that is a cleaner, healthier version of the tangy sauces you crave.
Yields: 8 | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 305 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fats: 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol:0 mg | Sodium: 39 mg | Carbohydrates: 57 g | Dietary fiber: 12 g | Sugars: 14 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8 |
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (our recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup unrefined sweetener, (choices of unrefined sweeteners: Madhava Coconut Sugar, honey, molasses, pure maple syrup, sucanat, sorghum)...we used the Coconut Sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup mild molasses or sorghum
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Note: We recently discovered unrefined Madhava Coconut Sugar which is vegan & kosher and is gluten and GMO free. The taste is mild and we use in place of brown sugar and white sugar. YUM!
- Add all ingredients to the slow-cooker, Cover, turn to low and cook 6-8 hours.
- In a medium sauce pan add canola oil, turn to medium-low heat and saute onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining barbecue sauce ingredients, stir and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes. This sauce taste great on your favorite grilling meats or in place of ketchup.
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.