This zesty Southwestern Pizza recipe captures tasty south-of-the-border flavors without adding inches to your waistline.
Why gobble down greasy slices of caloric nightmares when you can make your own wholesome, nutritious pizza? This zesty Southwestern Pizza recipe captures tasty south-of-the-border flavors without adding inches to your waistline.
Ordinary pizzas often take two, three, or even four slices to feel full thanks to overly processed, high-glycemic ingredients. Every protein-packed slice of our pizza delivers filling fiber, non-refined carbs, and healthy fats guaranteed to satisfy your stomach. This guilt-free recipe yields cheesy, juicy slices of heaven that’ll put delivery pizza to shame!
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey or lean beef
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tortillas large, flour or corn will work
- 1 tomato medium-size, diced
- 1 cup romaine lettuce ribbon-sliced
- 1 cup vegetarian refried beans from a can or canned regular pinto beans, drained and rinsed, and pureed in blender with 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, shredded or monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, brown turkey over medium-low heat in a skillet with 2 tablespoons water, chili powder, salt, and cumin, for about 10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Place one tortilla on baking sheet. Spread with 1/3 cup of the beans, top with an even layer of 1/2 cup cheddar, top with 1/3 of the meat, and top with another tortilla. Repeat with another layer. Do not top the third layer with an additional tortilla. Instead, place shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes on top of the third layer.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden at the edges. Cut into 4 slices to serve. This can be eaten as is or topped with nonfat Greek yogurt and salsa to serve if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What classic recipes would you like to see on Skinny Ms.? Let us know!