This recipe puts an exciting twist on ordinary pasta.
From spaghetti to tortellini, countless pasta dishes out there will overload you with refined carbs that pack on the pounds.
This recipe puts an exciting twist on ordinary pasta. Whole-wheat spaghetti accompanied by tender cauliflower florets and chewy peas are tossed with roasted hazelnuts. These aromatic nuts add a savory crunch to the meal, along with a bunch of nutrients and healthy fats.
Peas add a touch of sweetness that complements the cauliflower. These tasty ingredients sneak a healthy dose of veggies into your spaghetti dish. Besides bursting with flavor, this meal is a breeze to make. Dish it up for dinner and store overnight for tomorrow’s lunch!
Spaghetti with Cauliflower & Peas
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups whole-grain spaghetti cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons reserved pasta water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup baby peas frozen, thawed
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lemon zested
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread hazelnuts in an even layer on a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes. Pour hot hazelnuts onto a clean dish towel and cover. After about 5 minutes, rub hazelnuts in dish towel between both hands so the papery skins come off. Separate nuts from skins and discard skins.
- Coarsely chop hazelnuts and set aside.
- Add pasta to water and cook until al dente, drain.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and turn to medium heat. Add cauliflower florets and peas, toss in oil, and cook just until cauliflower is slightly tender, about 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add spaghetti, reserved pasta water, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and basil, toss to combine.
- Remove from heat and toss in hazelnuts. Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.