You wont miss meat after biting into this juicy, tender tofu!
Tofu is often used as a vegetarian staple, but if you aren’t sure how to cook it, it can be disappointing. The key to a meaty-textured tofu is to freeze it until solid, and then let it thaw in the fridge. Press it to get the water out, and then cook like you would meat. This grilled tofu recipe is marinated, grilled, and served with Szechuan vegetables for an easy recipe that’s a complete meal. You can serve this spicy grilled tofu recipe with rice or another grain if you’d like; either way, it’s downright delicious. Szechuan sauce, a spicy Asian condiment, can be found in the Asian aisle of your local grocery store; look where you find soy sauce.
Spicy Grilled Tofu with Szechuan Vegetables
- 1 pound firm tofu frozen and thawed
- 3 tablespoons lite soy sauce optional gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 red onion small, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lite soy sauce optional gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons Szechuan sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Once the tofu is thawed, cut it into 1/2 inch thick slices; squares or triangles will work. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Lay the tofu in a shallow baking dish and pour the marinade overtop. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Grill the tofu about 5 minutes per side, until firm. It should have nice grill marks on both sides.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the green beans. Blanche for 2 minutes; drain and rinse with ice-cold water.
- Combine the corn starch with a teaspoon of cold water. Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil, followed by the green beans, red peppers, and onions. Add the soy sauce (optional Tamari) and Szechuan sauce and stir quickly for about 1 minute. Add the corn starch mixture and stir until thickened.
- Serve the tofu with the veggies.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.