This combination of fresh fruit blended into a creamy smoothie and tasty oatmeal is an almost dessert-style concoction that is actually good for you. Frozen bananas and sliced strawberries are blended into an ice cream-like smoothie and then layered with warm oats flavored with almond butter for an out of this world treat that is both decadent and delicious. Make sure your oats are warm, but not piping hot, when you put this together; otherwise, they will melt the banana and strawberry mixture.
This recipe was contributed by Tiny Red Kitchen, a fun food blog that offers a collection of recipes, food photography, and thoughts to inspire, delight, and hopefully surprise you. Follow Tiny Red Kitchen on Pinterest.
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 263 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 29 mg | Carbohydrates: 48 g | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 19 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Sliced almonds and strawberries, for garnish
- Combine the oats and water in a saucepan and cook over low heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the almond milk, vanilla, and almond butter. Stir until almond butter is melted. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- When the oats are slightly warm, but not hot, put the bananas and strawberries in a blender. Blend, pushing ingredients down with a tamper if necessary. Add a tablespoon or two of almond milk to help blend if necessary, being careful not to add too much (it should be very thick, almost like ice cream.)
- To serve, layer the warm oats with the frozen strawberry mixture in a jar or parfait glass. Top with sliced almonds and strawberries and eat with a spoon.