We’re excited to have another yummy recipe contributed by Amee’s Savory Dish.
Stuffed Patty Pan Squash
- 6 to 8 patty pan squash you can also use large zucchini squash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup beef broth low sodium
- 1 cup parmesan cheese freshly shredded (good quality)
- 1 cup spinach frozen, thawed, squeezed and drained of all liquid (or packed fresh spinach, stems removed)
- 1 pound grass fed beef ground
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with a little cooking spray. Bring the beef broth to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside and allow to cool. Now you are ready to prepare your squash for filling. Slice the very bottom tip off the patty pan so it will lay flat in the baking dish.
- Now slice the tops off the squash and carefully scoop out most of the inner flesh, being careful not to break through the sides and bottom. Dice the scooped squash into small pieces and use 1/2 of the amount for your filling. Save remaining squash for another recipe or enjoy it raw with a little sea salt.
- *If you do not want to use the beef in this recipe then use all of the squash for the filling. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and squash in the olive oil for about 3-4 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Stir in spinach (if using fresh cook until just wilted). Remove from heat and stir in cooked quinoa, cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill squash, full to the top, with stuffing mixture. Place tops back onto the squash and drizzle with a little olive oil. Now they are ready for the oven. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 7-10 minutes more. Enjoy!
Meet Amee, the creator of this yummy recipe:
Amee is a southern girl, a stay-at-home mom of two, fitness enthusiast, obsessed foodie and soon-to-be published children’s author. Amee loves to write, create unique dishes and makeover her favorite recipes to adapt to a healthy lifestyle. Amee shares her passion for eating local and organic, supporting ethical farming practices, growing your own food and keeping recipes as clean as possible. However Amee believes there is room for the occasional splurge for holidays, special occasions and fun treats for kids. You can visit her blog Amee’s Savory Dish and find her on facebook here.