If you think a baked sweet potato is only good topped with butter and sugar and served alongside a steak, this stuffed potato recipe will change your mind. Full of flavor, this is unlike any sweet potato dish you’ve ever had. It’s healthy, filling, and when served with a green salad it becomes a delicious meal. The filling is a deliciously seasoned combination of corn, black beans, and tomatoes, while the light sweetness of the sweet potato compliments the spices beautifully. If you’re looking for a way to add sweet potatoes to your diet that doesn’t include butter and marshmallows, these southwestern style potatoes heartily fit the bill.
Yields: 4 | Serving Size: 1 potato | Calories: 215 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 15 mg | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 3.5 g | Protein: 8.5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup canned, chopped tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (optional, here's our recipe for Easy Roasted Corn.
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, prick a few times with a fork and put back in the oven for 30 more minutes or until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the onions. Cook for 2 minutes, until the onions are softened, but not translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds, and then add the cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of salt. Add the tomatoes, beans and corn. Stir until combined; add the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, slice down the middle and season lightly with salt. Divide the filling between the potatoes and serve.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from SkinnyMs.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.