These bars are designed to keep you energized and full, no matter when you eat them.
Superfoods are all the rage in fitness circles, and for good reason. They have incredible health benefits, are packed with vital nutrients, and they’re delicious, too. We here at SkinnyMs. happen to love superfoods! In fact, these Superfood Protein Bars are a perfect combination of so many of them — quinoa, flax seeds, pomegranate seeds and more. And, unlike many protein bars out there on the market, these are made with all-natural ingredients that are so easy to put together.
Enjoy these bars in the morning for breakfast or for a snack after a workout. These bars are designed to keep you energized and full, no matter when you eat them.
Superfood Protein Bars
- 1/3 cup quinoa pre-rinsed
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup almonds raw, with skin
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup peanut butter or almond butter, natural
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or semisweet
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Note: Pomegranate seeds can be found in most freezer sections next to the frozen berries. Recommend they be thawed before using. Also, fresh pomegranate seeds can be used. Check out How to Seed a Pomegranate.
- Add quinoa and water to a small saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook approximately 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate at least 2 hours (overnight is best).
- Add almonds to the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Be careful not to turn the almonds into mill. Add almonds, pomegranate, flax, peanut butter and cold quinoa to the food processor and pulse until ingredients are well combined.
- Shape into 6 - 2" x 1" bars, about 1" thickness. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate.
- In a small saucepan or double boiler, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil over low heat. Once melted, evenly spread a thin layer of chocolate over the top of each protein bar, return to the refrigerator and allow chocolate to harden.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms