Meet the dessert of every chocoholic’s dreams. This chocolate bark recipe marries salty to sweet, a mouthwatering match bursting with deliciously indulgent flavors. With nothing but 100% clean, nutrient-rich ingredients, this terrific treat is the perfect, guilt-free way to satisfy your sweet tooth. And homemade chocolate bark puts store-bought candy to shame!
Lush, dark chocolate tastes irresistible when decorated with candied orange peel and sliced almonds. Sea salt gives the bark its signature kick. Perfect for the holidays, this Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bark will triumph in the gift-giving department!
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 153 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 76mg | Carbohydrates: 19g | Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 16g | Protein: 2g | SmartPoints: 8
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, flaked sea salt such as maldon or larger crystal sea salt is especially good
- 1 navel orange (peel from the whole orange), organic preferred
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- For the candied orange peel:
- Peel orange vertically from stem to bottom with a vegetable peeler until whole orange is peeled. Cut peels into strips. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add orange peels. Cook for 1 minute, drain and rinse with cool water, add fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil again. Add orange peels, boiling for a minute again, and rinse under cold water. This process of boiling twice removes the bitterness.
- Place coconut palm sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small pan over medium heat. Stir to create a syrup. Allow to come to just to a boil, reduce heat to low, add orange peels, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until tender. Remove peels carefully with kitchen tongs or a fork and lay on wax or parchment paper to cool and harden (about 30 minutes on the counter top or 15 when placed in the fridge, uncovered). Peels can be sprinkled with additional coconut sugar, if desired. If so, that should be done as soon as they are placed on the paper.
- Toast sliced almonds for 1 - 2 minutes in a dry skillet, stirring constantly.
- Line an 8-by-8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler or in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring.
- Pour melted chocolate into pan, scraping with spatula to get everything. Shake pan to make even layer, if necessary.
- Sprinkle almonds and candied orange zest, if using, and sprinkle with sea salt. Place in the fridge for about 1 hour to set and then break into pieces.