Nothing beats biting into a muffin while getting your daily dose of veggies.
When you think of baked goods, you might imagine butter-filled indulgences flooded with calories that should be restricted to cheat days. Here at SkinnyMs., we’re putting an end to that assumption! This Sweet Corn and Kale Muffins recipe sneaks nutrient-rich veggies and wholesome ingredients into a tasty treat, letting your taste buds splurge without breaking the calorie bank.
These mouthwatering muffs call for superfoods like honey and kale, and get their moist, bready consistency from cornmeal and whole-wheat flour. Reduced fat shredded cheese perks up the flavor, while juicy corn kernels and diced onion add a touch of sweetness you’ll love. Stuffed with nutritious goodies, these muffins make a beautiful appetizer, brunch dish, or munchies-satisfier! Nothing beats biting into a muffin while getting your daily dose of veggies.
Sweet Corn and Kale Muffins
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups kale leaves finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup milk low-fat
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or use paper liners.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onions and kale, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, pepper, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the remaining oil, milk, egg, and honey and whisk until just combined.
- Fold the kale mixture and corn into the batter.
- Fill each muffin tin about 2/3 full and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and tops are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this recipe or anything else on the site. Leave a comment in the section below.