Superfood quinoa makes a surprisingly hearty breakfast!
Wake up to a delightful breakfast and some fun facts. Fact: quinoa is a complete protein, which means it contains all of the nine essential amino acids. Fact: cranberries are a superfood that is available year-round. Fact: almonds may help reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes. This recipe will fuel you through a long day, and make you a little smarter, just by reading it!
Sweet Morning Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups apple juice unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup sweet potato peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons almonds toasted
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup apples diced, optional
- Rinse and drain quinoa and place in a medium-sized pot. Add apple juice, ginger, and salt. Cook on medium heat till it comes to a boil. Cover and simmer (stirring occasionally) for about 15 minutes until liquid is evaporated.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl add 1/3 cup water and sweet potato. Cover bowl and cook for about 3 minutes. Give it a stir and cook for 2 minutes more until potato is fork-tender.
- Take potato out of bowl and place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and pureed.
- Once quinoa is cooked, fluff with a fork and whip in sweet potato puree and coconut milk. Cook uncovered over low heat for about 5 minutes more to thicken up, stirring occasionally.
- Evenly divide quinoa in 4 bowls and top with almonds, dried fruit, and apples if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.