Instead of making another apple pie with your fall apple bounty, try this Sweet Potato, Apple, and Chicken Stew. This easy sweet potato stew is the perfect combination of savory and sweet, and a comforting fall meal on a chilly night. Tender sweet potatoes are paired with tart apples for a chicken stew you won’t soon forget. It’s got a hefty dose of fiber and plenty of antioxidants, making it one of the healthiest chicken stews you’ll ever taste.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup|Calories: 348| Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 100 mg | Sodium: 725 mg | Carbohydrates: 13g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 36 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups chicken broth, no sugar added
- 2 chicken breasts
- Fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan Add the apple and the sweet potato and cook until apple is soft. Stir in the garlic, cumin, thyme and salt and continue cooking for 1 more minute.
- Add the broth and the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sweet potatoes are tender. Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Add back to the pot and simmer until heated through before serving topped with the fresh parsley.