Unlike any pancakes you've tried before!
These are not your average, Sunday morning flapjacks! Our Indian-inspired recipe for chickpea flour chilla pancakes is totally out of the box (no pun intended). They’re full of delicious, savory flavors you’ll love. You won’t be needing any maple syrup either, so leave it in the pantry!
Regular Pancakes Vs. Chilla Pancakes
Homemade pancakes generally use white flour, baking powder, milk, eggs, salt, and white sugar. The only ingredient that chilla pancakes actually have in common with plain old flapjacks is salt! Both contain flour, but chilla pancakes use chickpea flour.
The chilla pancake batter isn’t sweet like regular batter, either. It’s seasoned with spices like red chili flakes, cumin, and turmeric. Once these savory spices have been mixed into the batter, you’ll build more layers of flavor with sharp, earthy shallots and green onions. Serrano peppers contribute a spicy kick, and fresh parsley helps to balance out some of the savoriness. Finally, the cilantro will finish it off with a light, citrusy flavor.
In addition to differing flavors, these two types of pancakes are also different in texture. Traditional pancakes are normally thick and fluffy like cake. Chilla pancakes, on the other hand, are very thin and crepe-like. If you want them to be a little thicker, feel free to use less water, but remember that you’ll have to cook them a bit longer.
Make this Recipe Vegan and Dairy-Free
These vegetarian-friendly and gluten-free pancakes are incredibly easy to make vegan and dairy-free. The only dairy-based ingredient in this recipe is the ghee. Although it is lactose-free, it is still derived from animal products, making it non-vegan. A simple swap is to use olive oil in its place!
Add-Ins and Topping Suggestions
Chilla pancakes are super versatile, meaning you can change up the recipe almost every time you make them. We love adding different veggies into the batter! A few delicious suggestions include finely diced tomatoes, peppers, onions, zucchini, or whatever else you can think of.
As far as toppings go, your options are pretty much endless. Throw some leftover roasted potatoes on top of the pancakes, or use freshly sliced avocado, any kind of yogurt dip, guacamole, cheese, or even hummus. Get creative, just be sure to let us know what combination you came up with in the comment section below!
Looking for a more classic pancake recipe? Try our scrumptious Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes!
Savory Chilla Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup shallot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 serrano pepper finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chickpea flour with water, salt, red chili flakes, turmeric, and cumin. Whisk until smooth and well combined. Whisk in melted coconut oil and combine. Stir in shallots, green onion, serrano pepper, cilantro and parsley. Allow batter to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of ghee. Allow to melt, and then spread with a silicone brush or very carefully with a paper towel.
- When ghee is melted and hot (skillet is ready when drops of water sizzle when added to skillet), pour 1/4-1/2 cup batter into the skillet. Batter should thinly, but evenly coat the bottom of the skillet. Cook until bubbles form around the edges, and the bottom becomes golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Carefully flip and cook another 2-3 minutes, until pancake is cooked through. Remove from skillet and repeat with the remaining batter until all is used.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Did you enjoy this recipe? If so, we have plenty more like it! Be sure to follow us on Pinterest. Also, subscribe to our daily eNewsletter to get the newest and most popular articles delivered directly to your inbox!