A party-pleaser that won't add inches to your waistline.
Searching for a party-pleaser dip that won’t add inches to your waistline? Look no further than this healthy TexMex layered dip recipe! Bursting with south-of-the-border flavors and colorful textures, this dip is a surefire hit that your body will appreciate. The combination of fresh veggies, yummy beans, and bold salsa makes for a whopping dose of dietary fiber in this delicious dip!
As a bonus, we’ve slashed a ton of calories by swapping full-fat sour cream with a healthier alternative like Greek yogurt, so that irresistibly creamy texture you love isn’t compromised. Drizzle some enchilada sauce and serve with baked tortilla or pita chips. Enjoy!
TexMex Layered Dip
- 15 ounces vegetarian refried beans can (clean eating)
- 15 ounces black beans can, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt sour cream, non-fat or low-fat, plain
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese reduced fat, shredded or monterey jack cheese or shredded cheese of choice
- 1 green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 to 2 jalapenos fresh, stemmed, seeded, and diced or 2 tablespoons sliced pickled jalapenos (jalapenos optional, use more for spicier)
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 avocado ripe, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed (from 1 lime)
- 1 cup romaine lettuce shredded (shred by stacking leaves and slicing thinly across)
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup clean eating salsa or enchilada sauce of choice to top (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Have a clear square or round dish ready for assembling.
- In a small bowl, toss avocados in lime juice immediately after dicing to give them some zing and keep them from browning.
- Beans can be added hot or cold.
- If heating, heat refried beans in a small pot and black beans in a separate pot over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Add refried beans to the bottom of the dish and spread with a spatula for an even layer.
- Add sour cream or Greek yogurt and spread with a spatula. Sprinkle with salt.
- Add black beans and spread with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with an even, thin layer of shredded cheese.
- If using jalapenos, mix with bell pepper.
- Sprinkle peppers over cheese in an even layer.
- Top with diced tomatoes.
- Mix shredded lettuce with cilantro or parsley and distribute evenly on top of the tomatoes.
- Add avocado pieces.
- Drizzle with salsa or enchilada sauce or hot sauce of choice, if using.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips, baked whole wheat chips (from a whole wheat wrap), or baked whole wheat pita chips.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Love the dip? Have a suggestion? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers. Leave a comment below.