Bring Tex-Mex to your house!
TexMex food is packed with flavor. It incorporates the spice of traditional Mexican food, but it jazzes it up even more with the smokey, complex barbecue taste for which Texas is known. For many, the mix of the two flavors is even better than either on its own. This TexMex rice and beans takes the best of both worlds and creates a dish you will love. It can be served alongside chicken or burgers, but is also hearty enough to stand up on its over. Try a serving with this delicious corn bread recipe.
Some TexMex rice recipes can be unhealthy. Many incorporate ingredients that are full of fat and salt, so something that could be a healthy dish can become unhealthy pretty fast. This version of TexMex rice and beans is a cleaned-up alternative to the high-fat versions. Healthy rice dishes can be just as filled with flavor as their unhealthy counterparts.
Love the idea of whipping up a large batch of food you can enjoy for several days to come? Try one of our slow cooker recipes.
This recipe was submitted by Laura Hills. Here’s what Laura had to say about her creation:
“Let me first start by explaining that one of my absolute favorite places to eat is Grill Creations in Garwood New Jersey, which is both healthy and addicting. I used to go there every single day for dinner. I was recently inspired to try making one of their creations, only healthier. If you’re ever in Garwood, New Jersey, be sure to stop by Grill Creations and get your own inspiration for vegan or vegetarian recipes.”
TexMex Rice and Beans
- 1/2 cup brown rice cook according to package
- 1/2 cup black beans soaked overnight according to package
- 2 tablespoons pico de gallo
- 1/4 cup iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 avocado peeled seeded and chopped
- Add soaked beans to a large saucepan, cover with water plus one additional inch. Add onion and garlic, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil and cook for about 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Drain beans, discard water.
- Cook rice according to package.
- Assemble rice, beans, pico de gallo, lettuce, avocado and enjoy! Simple but very tasty!
- For added sweetness, add 1/2 cup whole kernel corn into the mix. Feel free to add whatever floats your boat! You can change up the rice and bean ratio to your liking!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.