Beans and rice is a staple dish that is filling, but can get kind of boring after a while. This three bean rice bowl recipe changes that by combining three types of beans with a black pepper and Parmesan brown rice. The result is a rice bowl recipe that is sure to become a favorite. The next time you’re looking for a delicious vegetarian meal, try this rice bowl; you won’t be disappointed!
Combining beans and rice is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body. The combo provides a complete protein, allowing you to derive energy from the complex carbohydrates in the rice, and to sustain that energy for long periods of time due to the protein in the beans. We’ve used brown rice, which is unrefined and full of fiber, filling you up and keeping your energy levels stable. Kidney beans and chickpeas are both nutritional powerhouses, and extra virgin olive oil lends heart healthy fat to this delicious dish. And Parmesan cheese is one of our favorite additions to many healthy meals. It lends massive flavor with just a very small amount, keeping your fat and calorie count low while maximizing taste.
Plus, this dish is the perfect weeknight dinner and even a great lunch to pack into Tupperwares and take on the go! It’s as easy to whip up as cooking rice and adding the rest of your ingredients. It’s the perfect no-fuss vegetarian meal.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size:1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup beans |Calories: 388 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 131 mg | Carbohydrates: 69 g | Dietary Fiber: 11 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 15 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan and add the rice. Stir and coat the rice with the oil, and cook for 1 minute. Add the black pepper and the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook the rice for 50 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 10 minutes and stir in the cheese.
- When the rice is almost done cooking, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the green beans. Cook for 3-4 minutes, drain, and rinse under cold water.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet and add the green beans, chickpeas, and kidney beans. Season with the salt and heat over medium heat until heated through. Serve the beans alongside the rice.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.