Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and covered in savory flavors.
Get ready for a unique and comforting meal! Our recipe for toasted gnocchi with peas combines classic flavors in a new and impressive way! With delicious and crispy toasted gnocchi, traditional high-protein peas, and a rich butter and parmesan topping, this dish is simply amazing!
All Things Gnocchi
Gnocchi (pronounced nyow-kee) originates from Northern Italy and is derived from the word “nocchio” meaning knuckle, which describes their round, nugget-like shape. Made from potatoes, this form of pasta has a unique texture from other, wheat-based pastas. Their softer form allows them to be the perfect candidate for this toasted dish, because it creates an amazingly crispy yet chewy mouthfeel. You can even try to make your own gnocchi– check out our homemade gnocchi recipe to make them with any form of potato.
Health Benefits of Peas
Peas are found in many traditional Italian recipes. Not only are they a classic ingredient, but they come with quite a few health benefits! They’re high in fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, C, and E, as well as zinc, potassium, and calcium. These nutrients have been shown to support healthy digestion, muscle growth, and heart health. Antioxidants found in peas are also important for metabolic functions and immune health. Overall, these little green powerhouses are an excellent way to get sneak some nutrients in to any meal!
Make This Toasted Gnocchi Dish
Whip up this simple recipe in just a few easy steps! Start by cooking the gnocchi according to the instructions on the package. Once the gnocchi is done cooking, drain it. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the olive oil is hot, add the gnocchi to the pan. Cook it for about 10 minutes or until it’s golden brown in color, stirring occasionally. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the peas into the pan.
Place the gnocchi and peas in a large bowl. Add the butter to the pan and once it starts bubbling, add the garlic, followed by the lemon juice. Reduce the heat to medium and let this mixture simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour the butter mixture over the gnocchi. Then top it with parmesan and toss to coat. Season the gnocchi with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Toasted Gnocchi with Peas
- 16 ounces gnocchi package
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- juice of half a lemon about 1 tablespoon
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the gnocchi according the instructions on the package. Once the gnocchi is done cooking, drain it.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the gnocchi to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add the peas into the pan.
- Remove the gnocchi and peas from the pan and place them in a large bowl. Add the butter to the pan. Once the butter starts bubbling, add the garlic to the pan, followed by the lemon juice. Reduce the heat to medium and let this mixture simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the butter mixture over the gnocchi. Then top with parmesan and toss to coat. Season the gnocchi with salt and pepper to taste.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources. You can also subscribe to our eNewsletter to get the latest content delivered directly to your inbox.