Are you a fan of shrimp? If so, this Tomato Basil Shrimp Stew recipe is a must try! The prep is super simple and the final result is a perfect savory meal for the colder months. Because many stew recipes are loaded with red meat and served with a hefty side of white bread, healthy stew recipes aren’t always easy to find. This one will satisfy your cravings for comfort foods, but won’t pack on the pounds.
*This recipe has been offered to us by Mimi Marie, writer for Heavenly Healthy! Mimi Marie believes that true health encompasses everything from food and fitness to a balanced mind and soul.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-3/4 cups soup | Calories: 301 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 192 mg | Sodium: 1067 mg | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 28 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1-2 pounds baby shrimp (regular sized shrimp is OK, too)
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste (for added thickness)
- 2-4 cups water or vegetable broth, depending on desired soupiness
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 chopped carrot
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt & pepper - lots of pepper gives more zest!
- *Add chopped zucchini/squash about 1 hour before soup is finished (Optional)
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and set on low for 3-4 hours, or until shrimp is thoroughly cooked. You can also cook in a pot on the stove top on low for about 1 hour before soup is finished (Optional)
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and set on low for 3-4 hours, or until shrimp is thoroughly cooked. You can also cook in a pot on the stove top on low for about 2 hours.
What’s your favorite healthy recipe? We’d love to try it! Leave us a comment below.