Busy schedules make it almost impossible to enjoy a quick, but nutritious breakfast. Which is why we love protein-packed, portable breakfast muffins! This Turkey Sausage Breakfast Muffin is not only packed with protein, but it will excite your tastebuds no matter how early in the morning. Who doesn’t want to wake up to succulent turkey sausage chunks, crunchy bell peppers, and gooey cheese? The best part of this dish is that it can be prepared ahead of time so that it lasts the entire week. Plus, this make-ahead breakfast has the perfect balance of all the food groups. With just a little bit of everything, this recipe is all about the maximum quality in minimum quantity.
In order to whip up these savory snacks, all you have to do is sauté the veggies and meat, dice up the bread, and combine the rest of the ingredients, adding more or less of anything as you desire. In less than an hour, you can have up to 12 muffins ready to go. But beware, they may go fast!
Yields: 12 muffins | Serving Size: 1 muffin | Calories: 162 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 332mg | Carbohydrates: 7g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints: 5
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cups whole wheat bread, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cup liners or lightly spray with non stick spray.
- In medium skillet, cook turkey sausage, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks. Cook until no pink remains. Add green pepper and onion to the sausage and cook until soft.
- Divide bread cubes between 12 muffin cups. Spoon turkey sausage mix on top of bread crumbs and cheese on top of the turkey mix. Only fill cups about 3/4 full.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg whites, eggs, milk, and salt. Pour over bread, sausage, and cheese filled muffin cups. Only fill to just cover the ingredients in the muffin cups. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and add more egg mix to the cups if needed.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until set in the middle and tops begin to brown. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin. Serve warm.
What are you favorite “make-ahead” breakfast recipes? Comment down below and let us know!