Tired of oatmeal every morning, but still want something hearty and nutritious? This quinoa breakfast dish with blueberries is a delicious replacement for your usual breakfast. The quinoa is lightly flavored with vanilla extract, and the blueberries are roasted with heart-healthy coconut oil for a breakfast bowl that you’ll be eager to add to your morning routine.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 228 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 65 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints: 8 |
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the quinoa, water and vanilla in a saucepan with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Toss the blueberries with the coconut oil and cinnamon. Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet (don’t skip the parchment!) Roast until soft and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Serve the quinoa topped with the roasted blueberries. Top with a few fresh blueberries, coconut, or slivered almonds if desired.