Chicken dishes are a great option for people who are trying to eat healthier, but there are two challenges when it comes to chicken. One, it tends to get a little boring if you only know a few recipes. And two, even chicken can be unhealthy if your recipes are filled with saturated fat, preservatives, and other unhealthy ingredients. These black pepper and walnut crusted chicken breasts solve both of those problems! This is a chicken breasts recipe that your family will love.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 212 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 37 mg | Sodium: 293 mg | Carbohydrates: 9 g | Dietary fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 19 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 3/4 cup raw walnut pieces (the fats in this recipe come mostly from walnuts, a healthy fat)
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (recipe for homemade bread crumbs)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1.5 - 2 pounds skinless chicken breasts on the bone (I used 2 half breasts and cut each in half lengthwise)
- In a large bowl add chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt to taste, up to 1 teaspoon, and pour in buttermilk, make sure all pieces are coated, cover, place in the refrigerator and allow to marinate about 2 hour. (This step can be skipped if no time...but it works great to tenderize the chicken).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a food process, add walnuts, bread crumbs, black pepper, salt to taste, and paprika, pulse until well combined and a crumb consistency. If a food process is not available, place ingredients in a gallon ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to make into crumbs.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove chicken from buttermilk, one piece at a time, allow excess buttermilk to drip off and dredge in walnut mixture, being sure to coat each side and lightly press to ensure crumbs stick to chicken. Place chicken on parchment paper after coating with crumbs. Lightly mist both sides of chicken with olive oil spray.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until juices run clean when pierced with a fork, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.