Enjoy some time in the water with these workouts!
Use The benefits of working out in the water are numerous and while the water takes most of the pressure off your joints, it allows movements that can not be done on land. Follow this basic 50-minute water workout routine today and burn tons of calories while you jam out to some of your favorite tunes. Need some inspiration? Check out these Skinny Ms. playlists.
Warm up: 5 minutes
Begin your water workout walking and raising your knees at a 90 degree angle as you step forward. Do this walk for 3-5 minutes. This should slowly elevate your heart rate and warm up your muscles so you can make the most of your pre-workout stretch.
Stretching: 5 minutes
Do these simple stretches to get ready for your workout.
1. Runners Stretch- Place both feet flat on the bottom of the pool and take one giant step forward with your right foot until you feel a stretch in your calves. Hold for 5-10 seconds, then switch feet.
2. Arm Stretch- Bring your right arm straight across your chest and hold it with your other hand, above the elbow at the tricep. Hold for 5-10 seconds then switch arms.
3. Poor Man’s Stretch- Fold your hands together and extend your arms up over your head, opening your palms up facing the sky as you reach up to stretch your arms and abdominals. Drop your arms down and extend your right arm over your head reaching towards the left side of your body. Repeat with the other arm.
Cardio Set: 20 minutes
1. Kicks- Straight leg kicks utilize the weight of the water to build muscle. With your legs slightly bent, place your arms out to the side for balance and kick each leg out in front of you alternating legs. Do this exercise for up to 3 minutes.
2. Bunny Hops- Imagine that you are jumping over a log, and with your feet shoulder width apart, hop over that log, forward then back again. Do this for up to 2 minutes.
3. Cross Country Skiers- Similar to the movement of a cross country skier, extend your right arm out as you extend your left leg out and then alternate that movement with the other side of your body (left arm with right leg). Continue this exercise for 2-3 minutes.
4. Water Jog- Take a jog down and back at an accelerated rate. When you get back, repeat three of the exercises listed above.
5. Kick Set- Place your arms at the side of the pool deck, holding your body in a plank position. Extend your legs behind you and do a simple flutter kick (legs slightly bent kicking legs alternately from the hip). Be sure to splash, not only does it make it more fun but you’ll know how hard you’re working. Do this exercise for up to 3 minutes. Rest, for 15 seconds in between each set of 30 seconds of kicking.
6. Toning- 15 minutes
Save your empty milk jugs and bring them to the pool for a cheap, easy and effective way to tone up. Fill the jugs about half way. As you walk in the water down to the end and back, hold the water bottles under water and move your arms forward and back as if you were simply taking a walk, and swinging your arms. Do this for two laps.
For the next two laps, raise the water bottles out of the water and hold them out to the side, arms extended outward. Hold your arms in this position and rest for 15-30 seconds at the end of the first lap.
Without any equipment, take two more laps and this time just hold your arms out to the side, fully extended. If this is not challenging enough, make small circles with your arms, palms facing upwards, then for the second lap, palms facing down.
Stretch: 5 minutes
Repeat the stretches listed above.
Want more great water workouts? Go here for great ways to work out in the water from Skinny Ms. Have a favorite water workout? Let us know your best water workout moves!