The earthy flavors of pine nut and asparagus make this creamy frittata a warm, comforting delight. Protein and omega-3 fatty acids abound in this four egg recipe, and the fiber and nutrients of asparagus round out its impressive health profile. Crunchy pine nuts add a Mediterranean flair, in this frittata that can be served at any time of day for a satisfying meal.
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 recipe | Calories: 309 | Total Fat: 23 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 341 mg | Sodium: 215 mg | Carbohydrates: 8 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 1 bunch asparagus, skinny variety preferred but any type will do, woody bottom stems removed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Over medium heat, in a pot of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus for about 5 minutes.
- Chop the asparagus coarsely, leaving a few whole for garnishing.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan in with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the asparagus for 5 minutes then add the pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Over low - medium heat, in the same saucepan, pour the egg mixture.
- When the bottom of the frittata is starting to cook, garnish the top with the whole asparagus that you put aside.
- When the bottom part of the frittata is cooked, cook the other side by turning it with the help of the saucepan cover. Cook for another couple of minutes.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.