If you are looking to build muscle mass, this is the perfect meal for your week!
What if we told you you don’t have to skimp on the Italian food to get your summer bod? It’s true! This lasagna recipe supports a fitness routine for muscle growth and overall strength. Perfect for swim season! Lasagna’s ingredients create a high calorie, protein, and carb content, which is great for body building. This particular lasagna recipe is great, because it is a cleaner version of your restaurant-served lasagna and it is made in multiple portions so that it lasts you for multiple meals.
This workout lasagna is made with some really basic ingredients such as mushrooms, onions, turkey sausage, and a whole lot of seasoning. It includes low fat cottage cheese, mozzarella, and ricotta. An unusual ingredient that you might not expect is some sweet potato, which is value added to the nutritional content. Simply prepare the lasagna in multiple layers and bake! This meal can last you for quite a while and is a great supplement to your diet.
Workout Lasagna Individual Meal Prep
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup mushrooms diced small
- 1/4 cup red onion diced small
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon basil fresh, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano fresh, minced
- 2 tomatoes large, diced into medium chunks
- 15 ounces tomato sauce can, no sugar added (unseasoned)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese low-fat
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese low-fat
- 3 tablespoons parsley fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sweet potatoes large, thinly sliced into circles
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese low-fat, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray pans with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, cook turkey sausage on medium heat. Break sausage into small pieces as it cooks. Once no pink remains in the sausage, add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Continue to cook until mushrooms and onions are soft. Add the basil, oregano, tomato, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together egg whites, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, parsley, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the sausage sauce into the bottom of each serving dish. On top, place a layer of sweet potato, slightly overlapping each slice - about 4 slices per layer. Top with about 1/4 cup of the sauce followed by another layer of potato. Top with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture and another layer of sweet potato. Repeat the layers (sauce, potato, cheese, and potato) until the casserole is about 1/4 inch from the top of the pan. Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes until potatoes are soft and mozzarella cheese is melted and lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely. Once cool, cover well and refrigerate or freeze.
- To reheat, lightly spray foil and cover lasagna with foil, sprayed side down. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until lasagna is heated through.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms