If you think your mom’s spaghetti is the best, think again! While some diets may urge you to take spaghetti out of your meal rotation, it can actually improve your health. We make our spaghetti with three different kinds of cheese, plus sour cream. Don’t worry, though – it’s still clean. We use low-fat cheese and whole wheat spaghetti. Whole wheat pasta is a great, clean source of fiber and calcium. It’s especially helpful if you’re working out. Clean carbs provide natural energy so you can build muscle. Also, this dish is a good source of magnesium and iron, both minerals which improve muscle health and boost metabolism. We also add ground turkey, so you get plenty of lean protein. Once you try it, you’ll agree that this is the world’s best spaghetti, and you’ll never go back!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 392 | Total Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 802mg | Carbohydrates: 33g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 28g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 1 pound lean ground beef, optional turkey
- 1 tablespoon yellow onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) jar no-sugar added spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese, optional or reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat grated parmesan
- 8 ounces thin whole wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In a skillet on medium heat, brown the ground beef, minced onion, salt, and pepper until no pink remains in the meat. Break up the beef into small pieces as it cooks. Drain off any excess fat and add spaghetti sauce; mix well.
- In a separate sauce pot on medium heat bring milk and garlic to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the Neufchatel cheese and sour cream. Stir until smooth, heat to a boil stirring constantly. (The milk mixture will burn quickly if it is no continuously stirred!) Once boiling, remove from heat and quickly whisk in Parmesan until smooth.
- Spread half of the spaghetti noodles in prepared dish. Pour the white sauce over the noodles and top with remaining spaghetti noodles. Spread the ground beef and sauce mixture over second layer of pasta and top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, uncovered, until cheese is melted, bubbly, and beginning to brown.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.