For a healthy drink that tastes way better than a commercial diet grapefruit soda, and is all natural, one has to look no further than this grapefruit soda recipe. The best thing about grapefruit soda is the refreshing, citrus flavor that it’s bursting with. It has just enough acidity and mild bitter flavor to not be cloying or candy like. This is such a nice adult- tasting soda that it can even be used for grapefruit mocktails, adding more seltzer, a twist of lime, and a touch of cranberry juice (the all juice variety).
In addition to the vitamin C and phytonutrients found in grapefruit, grapefruit aids in keeping the body’s insulin levels low and contains a chemical called naringin, that prevents fat from being stored. See the grapefruit soda nutrition information in the grapefruit soda recipe below for more information.
Also, be sure to check out these other fabulous Drink Recipes from SkinnyMs.
Serves: 4 servings | Serving size: 4 glasses | Calories: 78 | Total Fat: 0 g | Saturated Fats: 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 37 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints: 3
- 1/2 cup agave nectar, optional honey
- 2 pink grapefruits, zested and juiced (see directions for zesting)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ice cubes
- 4 cups (1 quart) seltzer water, sparkling mineral water, or club soda
- Zest the grapefruits by peeling them with a vegetable peeler into wide strips. If any white pith remains on the peel, remove it with a paring knife.
- Combine sweetener, grapefruit zest and juice, lemon juice, and salt in a medium saucepan along with 1 cup water. Stir and bring just to a boil over medium high heat.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and let it sit for one hour. Strain the syrup to remove the peels/zest.
- To store extra syrup, cover with an airtight lid and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Put four ice cubes in each glass and about ¼ cup of syrup. Fill the glass with carbonated water of choice and stir well to serve. Zingy Pink Grapefruit can be garnished with a mint or basil leaf. Add lime or lemon slices for added color.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.