Add these crunchy baked onions to your favorite casseroles or have as a appetizer. Either way, they are delicious!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 111 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Previous Points: 2 | Points Plus: 3 | Cholesterol: 3 | Carbohydrates: 15 g | Sodium: 139 mg | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 11 g |
- 1 large sweet or red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko (gluten free panko) or whole grain bread crumbs (bread crumb recipe)
- 1/2 cup flour, optional gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking power
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk or low-fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium mixing, combine panko or whole wheat bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Separate the onion slices into individual rings and add to the flour mixture, gently toss and make sure all the rings are coated. Remove onions and place on a place.
Whisk together milk and egg white, add to the leftover flour mixture and stir to combine. Dip onion rings into batter, allow excess to drip off and place on a non-stick cookie sheet. Lightly spray or drizzle extra-virgin olive oil on the onion rings. Flip onion rings after 10 minutes. Continue baking until golden and crispy, 10 to 15 additional minutes.
Note: If using this recipe for Green Bean Casserole, reduce cooking time by 5 minutes as the onion rings will continue to brown while on top of the casserole.
Check out our recipe for Green Bean Casserole.