by Skinny Ms.
Everyone should have a recipe on hand for a quick dinner that’s healthy and tastes delicious. Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms is a perfect ending to a long and hectic day.
Yields: 4 | Serving Size: 1 mushroom | Calories: 251 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Cholesterol: 5 | Carbohydrates: 41 g | Sodium: 427 mg | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 12 g |
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, caps removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 cup diced vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs, (recipe for bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, fat-free
Preheat oven to 375 degrees f.
Add quinoa and water to a medium pot, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low-boil and cook until quinoa has absorbed most of the water, approximately 12-15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave quinoa on burner for 5 minutes.
While quinoa is cooking, place mushrooms gill (open side) up on a cookie sheet. Brush mushrooms with olive oil and evenly drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
Cook mushrooms 10 minutes. Drain excess liquid from mushrooms.
In the meantime, in a medium mixing bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt to taste, tomatoes, bread crumbs, basil and feta cheese.
Remove mushrooms from oven and evenly divide quinoa mixture, approximately 1/2 cup, into each mushroom. Bake 12 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted. Eat immediately or allow to cool slightly.