Everyone should have a recipe on hand for a quick dinner that’s healthy and tastes delicious. Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms is a perfect ending to a long and hectic day.
Yields: 4 | Serving Size: 1 mushroom | Calories: 251 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 5 | Carbohydrates: 41 g | Sodium: 427 mg | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 12 g | SmartPoints: 7 |
- 1/3 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, caps removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 cup diced vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whole grain bread crumbs, (recipe for bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, fat-free
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees f.
- Add quinoa and water to a medium pot, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low-boil and cook until quinoa has absorbed most of the water, approximately 12-15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave quinoa on burner for 5 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, place mushrooms gill (open side) up on a cookie sheet. Brush mushrooms with olive oil and evenly drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Season with salt to taste. Cook mushrooms 10 minutes. Drain excess liquid from mushrooms.
- In the meantime, in a medium mixing bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt to taste, tomatoes, bread crumbs, basil and feta cheese.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and evenly divide quinoa mixture, approximately 1/2 cup, into each mushroom. Bake 12 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted. Eat immediately or allow to cool slightly.