by Skinny Ms.
This is our family’s go to slow cooker recipe when we want something easy to prepare, yummy and ready to eat at the end of a long work day.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving size: 1-3/4 cups | Calories: 266 | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 4 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 60 mg | Sodium: 254 mg | Carbohydrates: 27 g | Dietary fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 29 g
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 -3 chicken breast fillets (1.5 lbs) cut into bite size pieces (optional skinless, boneless thighs or a combination of breasts & thighs)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes with liquid
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, fat free, low sodium (optional vegetable broth or water)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can Cannellini or Navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese for garnish
Combine all the above ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 hours in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Spoon into bowls and garnish with a little cheddar cheese and diced onion, if desired.
Note: The chicken used in this recipe was raw when going in the slow cooker. If you already have cooked chicken, just add it about an hour before the end of cooking time.
Ready for dessert? 5 Chocolate Treats Under 230 Calories
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving the newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email from Skinny Ms., signup here: eNewsletter Signup.