by Gale Compton
Our top-rated Momma’s Roadhouse Chili makes for a fantastic dinner on a busy weeknight! It’s a classic chili, packed with meat and beans that fill you up and warm you up.
Yields: 6 servings| Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 7 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 31 mg | Sodium: 183 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 gm | Dietary Fiber: 13 gm | Sugars: 6 gm | Protein: 19 gm
- Turkey Ingredients
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, about 93% lean (optional, lean ground chicken or beef)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Chili Ingredients
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drain
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drain
- 1 (14.5 ounce) natural diced tomatoes
- 1 ( 6 ounce) can natural tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper, more or less to taste
- 1-1/2 cups water, optional vegetable or chicken broth - low sodium, fat free (use 2 cups if you prefer a thinner chili)
Combine the turkey ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cook turkey mixture in a skillet on medium heat, breaking up into small chunks, and cook until no longer pink. Drain off any fat and discard.
Add cooked meat and all other ingredients to slow cooker, cook on low 8-10 hours. 4-6 quart slow cooker recommended. Serve in bowls and add diced onions, if desired.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.