by Gale Compton
Our top-rated Momma’s Roadhouse Chili makes for a fantastic dinner on a busy weeknight! It’s a classic chili, packed with meat and beans that fill you up and warm you up.
Yields: 6 servings| Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 7 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 31 mg | Sodium: 183 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 gm | Dietary Fiber: 13 gm | Sugars: 6 gm | Protein: 19 gm
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, about 93% lean (optional, lean ground chicken or beef)
- 1 small sweet onion
- 2 can (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drain
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drain
- 1 (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 ( 6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato juice or veggie juice
- 3 cups water (for a thicker chili, use 2 1/2 cups)
Cook turkey and onion in a skillet on medium heat, breaking up into small chunks. Cook until no longer pink. Drain off fat and discard.
Add cooked meat and all other ingredients to slow cooker, cook on low 6-8 hours. 4-6 quart slow cooker recommended. Add diced onions and cheddar cheese, if desired.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.