Rich, chocolatey cake in a matter of minutes? If the idea sounds too good to be true, just wait. These decadent treats are also good for you! Thanks to portioned mugs, this crave-worthy recipe makes it possible to indulge in a sweet treat without baking an entire cake or batch of brownies.
Our recipe ditches conventional refined flour or processed ingredients and calls for nutritious foods like honey, almonds, and cocoa powder. Each bite delivers creamy sweet notes that perfectly complement the almonds’ crunchy nuttiness. Thanks to your good ol’ microwave, whipping up a chocolate almond mug cake steals a mere two minutes of your time. Instant gratification has never been this clean!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 202 | Total Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 104mg | Carbohydrates: 21g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Protein: 4g | SmartPoints: 9 |
- 1/4 cup flour (we used white whole wheat)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melt first if solid)
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup slivered almond slices
- 1/4 cup natural almond butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Whisk together dry ingredients, except filling ingredients and almonds. Next, whisk together wet ingredients. Fold dry ingredients into and wet. Mix together almond butter and coconut sugar.
- Add half the chocolate mixture between the mugs, spoon in almond filling, and spread remaining chocolate mixture on top. Sprinkle slivered almonds atop chocolate.
- Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for one minute. Check for doneness. If more time is needed, heat for an additional 10-20 seconds. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Love the cakes? Have clean eating desserts to share? We’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment below.