What do you wish someone would have told you about fitness before you started working out? How many fitness opinions have you heard that left you confused about what to do? Although each client I train has specific wants and needs, over the years, I’ve found struggles, questions, and necessary lifestyle changes that are consistent for everyone. What started as tips for my clients soon became a collection of mini-mantras for living each day. Below are 28 Life-Changing Fitness Tips from a Personal Trainer that will keep you motivated, informed, and change how you view your fitness journey forever.
Whether during a session or via text, these are the most important tips I share with every client. You won’t incorporate all 28 tips at once, but the more you reread and see the changes they make in your body and health, the more natural each one will feel as a part of your life.
1. Create A Goal — The first step in finding fitness success is creating a goal. Is summer a few weeks out? Go for a total body transformation. Just looking to get rid of belly fat? Work on whittling your waist. Once you establish your goal, it becomes easier to find a routine that is specific to your needs.
2. Next, Create Another Goal — Once you hit your first goal and you’re beginning to see positive changes, or close, find another one to keep you motivated, energized, and healthy. If you just ran a 5k, aim for a 10k. If you were looking to slim down your waist, give your butt a lift to balance out front and back. Goals keep you motivated and help you push through your limits.
3. Find Resources — You don’t need to change your life on your own. If you’re just starting out or are unsure about what to do, find articles and knowledgeable people to answer questions and ask for clarification about anything that’ll help elevate your fitness experience. The more you learn, the more you’ll find success in fitness.
4. Learn On Your Own — As helpful as resources can be, there is a unique joy in creating something on your own. As you develop in your fitness journey and become more educated, learn what works for you and become creative with exercises and routines.
5. Change Your Eating Habits — Not changing how you eat is the difference between getting results within four weeks of work versus eight. An active body requires nutrients you won’t find in unhealthy snacks and fast food. Clean eating is the best solution in getting the most out every workout.
6. Plan Your Eating — Your weakest food moments come from not having healthy options prepared when hunger strikes. Buying one bag of chips is easier then buying an apple and adding a little peanut butter. Although you want the healthier option, once hunger kicks in you’ll go for what’s easy. Have meals and snacks planned to suppress your appetite and unhealthy urges as soon as possible.
7. Learn To Say “No” To Yourself — With changing your eating habits comes the need to tell yourself “no.” “No I don’t need that cookie.” “No I don’t need another slice of pie.”
8. Learn To Say “No” To Other People — When you’re on a fitness journey, it’s easy to follow your guidelines from the comfort of your own home. The real test comes from saying “no” when you’re out with family or friends. Say “no” when you want to. If someone doesn’t respect your choices, it doesn’t matter. Soon they’ll get the hint that you’re not giving in.
9. Learn To Say “Yes” To Yourself — With changing your eating habits comes the need to tell yourself “yes” occasionally. “I’ve had a good few weeks of eating healthy, so yes I deserve that cookie.” Earn your “yes” and spread them out to stay on track and reward yourself.
10. Don’t Be Hard On Yourself — No one is perfect. Sometimes temptation wins and your “no” becomes an “I caved.” So what? Don’t guilt yourself. Own your mishap, tomorrow is another day. Get it right tomorrow.