Ugh! The muffin top…it leaves many of us covering up at the beach, tugging down our shirts, or wearing sack-like clothing. The frustrating bulge can strike at any age, but women are particularly vulnerable once they reach their late 30s. The good news is you can makeover that muffin top for a wonderfully whittled waist:
1. Sculpt your core. When you want to get rid of that muffin top, work to build core muscles, which burn more calories than fatty tissues, and, as a result, raise metabolism. By toning the muscles in the back, chest, and abdomen you’ll burn more fat so less is deposited around the waist. Target your tummy with the Muffin Top Meltaway 200 workout.
2. Control calories with cardio. Burn the excess calories that turn into fat with regular cardio exercise. Work up a sweat with activities like interval-training, swimming, or running. 4 Minute Belly Burn, cardio you can do!
3. Get carb smart. Limit the bad (simple) carbohydrates that easily convert to fat. Instead, choose good (complex) carbs like fruits, veggies, and whole grains, such as superfood superstar quinoa. Start your day with our muffin-top-busting Quinoa Breakfast Cereal.
4. Pump up the fiber. High-fiber foods help us feel full so we’re less likely to reach for junky snacks. Pack your diet with fiber-filled fruits and veggies, like apples, bananas, cabbage, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, or spinach. Get your fill of healthy fiber with this Skinny Slow Cooker Spinach and Mozzarella Frittata.
5. Slash sugar. Go easy on the extra sugar that leads to weight gain around your middle and other areas. Watch out for sugar-added processed foods as well, like jarred tomato sauces, store-bought salad dressings, and packaged breakfast cereals. You can still indulge your sweet tooth with these No Sugar Added – Skinny Desserts.
6. Power up with protein. In an effort to shed pounds, it’s common for women to cut back on the protein needed to build fat-burning muscle. The average non-pregnant, non-nursing woman needs about 46 grams a day from healthful sources, like lean meat or cold-water fish.
7. Reduce or eliminate alcohol. No matter what your libation of choice, alcohol only adds empty calories. What’s more, drinking even a little too much in one sitting can break down your resolve to eat well, which means it becomes harder to say “no, thanks” to muffin-top-building foods, like nachos or cheese sticks.
8. Control stress. The stress hormone cortisol makes it easier for the body to deposit fat in the abdomen. Stress may be inevitable, but you don’t need to allow it to create a ring around your middle. Find stress-relieving activities you enjoy, whether it’s yoga or journaling. Tame your tension tonight with this Evening Yoga for Relaxation.
9. Invest in jeans that fit. Okay, so this isn’t exactly an eating or fitness tip, but too-small or low-rise jeans are notorious for putting a spotlight on a muffin top. Create a smoother silhouette with mid-rise jeans that fit you at your current weight. As you shed excess fat, you can reward yourself with a smaller size.
Leave the muffin tops for the bakery case, and start building the healthier lifestyle that gives you the whittled waist you want.