What comes to mind when you think of a healthy, wholesome dinner? You may not think of the warm, comforting dishes you and your family have loved for years. But you can derive that some of that same comfort and satisfaction with recipes that are designed for maximum nutrition as well as comfort. Our comfort food dinner recipes are low in fat and sugar, and replace simple carbs with complex ones, offering you a variety of protein-packed, fiber-rich dishes that are low in calories while still being soothing and familiar.
1. Slow Cooker Lasagna. For many, pasta is a comfort food dating back to childhood, and lasagna is often a family favorite. With this lasagna recipe, you can indulge in the savory umami combination of tomatoes, basil, and parmesan without the guilt, or the hours of prep work. Because the meal gradually heats in a slow cooker, you’ll experience minimal prep and maximum enjoyment.
2. Chicken Noodle Soup. Hot, steamy soup is a classic comfort food. This recipe calls for less sodium than traditional recipes, with a bit of spice to add flavor. When it’s chilly outside, or if you’re coming down with a cold or flu virus, this soup will warm you, lift your spirits, and nourish you with its healthful ingredients.
3. Southwestern Black Bean Casserole. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this black bean casserole allows you to enjoy one of your favorite Mexican dishes without the excess fat and calories. This dish is meatless, making it a rare, vegetarian-friendly comfort dish!
4. Slow Cooker Chicken Chili. When you’re strapped for time, dinner doesn’t get much easier to prepare than this slow cooker chicken chili recipe. Perfect for family parties or busy weeknights, chicken chili provides a healthy and more nutritious twist on a classic comfort food favorite.
5. Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits. There are very few meals that wear the label of comfort food better than chicken pot pie. This healthy version of the classic dish makes use of chicken breasts, which are lower in fat than chicken thighs, low-sodium broth, and plenty of veggies. Go ahead and indulge in this satisfying favorite!
The secret is out. While many clean eaters believe that comfort foods are off the menu, you now know that it’s simply not true. By revamping classic favorites with more nutritious ingredients, you can have the best of both worlds by combining a little comfort with a lot of wholesome ingredients.