Our Southwestern black bean casserole is a healthy way to enjoy Mexican food. Many Mexican recipes contain vegetables and black beans, but they are sometimes filled with saturated fat and calories. Unfortunately, if you are trying to eat healthy to lose weight, many Mexican dishes will not be an option. This healthy casserole lets you eat Mexican food without worrying about calories, saturated fat, or unhealthy ingredients.
Legumes are an excellent source of protein and are often eaten in vegetarian diets as an option to animal protein. Even if you are not a full-fledged vegetarian, you can mix things up a little and serve meatless dishes on occasion. Your family will love this casserole and will happily abide by your desire to serve vegetarian dishes once or twice a week for dinner.
We love it when we find a recipe that allows our readers to enjoy their favorite dishes, but without the fat and calories. Cleaned up versions of popular dishes are great to have in your collection of recipes. Looking for other ideas? Our Skinny Mexican Rice is a perfect side dish for this recipe. You might also like these other healthy side dishes.
Yield: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 259 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 436mg | Carbohydrates: 40g | Dietary Fiber: 9g | Sugars: 4g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints: 8 |
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans (low sodium preferred), drained
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 low-sodium whole-wheat tortillas, optional 6 corn tortillas
- 12 ounces salsa, no added sugar
- 1 cup shredded 2% Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Drain beans, and set aside. In the meantime, in a medium skillet, add oil; heat over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add black beans and broth, and continue cooking approximately 3 minutes. Add cumin, black pepper, salt, and cilantro; stir to combine.
- Spray the bottom of an 8x8-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add a tortilla, 1/4 black bean mixture, 1/4 salsa, and 1/4 cheese; continue layering until all ingredients have been used. Top casserole with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover casserole dish with foil, and bake approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly. Remove foil, and continue cooking 8–10 minutes. Remove from oven, and garnish with non-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream, if desired.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.