Want to lose weight and feel healthy? Go nuts over almonds! This food looks humble, but it’s packed with nutrients that will help your body tackle everything from morning workouts to toddler tantrums. Check out these six reasons to add almonds to your diet.
This delicious little tree nut, which is actually the seed of a tree originally from the Middle East and South Asia, is a superfood. What is a superfood? Think of it as the ultimate nutritional multi-tasker. A superfood delivers high levels of multiple vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients. There are plenty of these foods that can easily be incorporated into your lifestyle. Check out 12 Superfoods Every Woman Should Eat. Almonds might be one of the most versatile, because they work in so many recipes, from cereals and salads to entrees and desserts. And their health benefits are smart reasons to add them to your diet.
1. They make the heart happy. A large study found that those who ate a diet that included almonds and other nuts had a lower risk of dying from heart disease compared to those who didn’t eat nuts . Make your heart and taste buds happy with Clean Eating Almond Butter and Jelly.
2. Almonds may protect against Type 2 Diabetes. Blood sugar spikes contribute to the development of this serious, chronic disorder. One of the best reasons to eat almonds is that they seem to stabilize after-meal spikes in blood sugar, according to researchers. A study discovered that eating almonds with a meal lowered the glycemic impact (the effect on blood sugar) of the entire meal .
3. These nuts might help you shed pounds. Almonds’ health benefits also include weight loss. In one study, participants who ate an almond-rich, low-calorie diet experienced a 62% greater reduction in weight than those eating a low-calorie, high-carb diet .
4. They can boost your energy. These nuts contain riboflavin (vitamin B2), which aids energy production. Get the energy you need to tackle the day with healthy almond dishes like Slow Cooker Almond Blast Oatmeal.
5. They contain heart-healther, potassium.This mineral is critical for regulating heartbeat because it triggers the heart to squeeze. People who consumed potassium lowered their systolic (top number) blood pressure by approximately eight points, according to one major study .
6. Almonds are rich in Vitamin E. Another of the great reasons to eat almonds is that they are rich in this antioxidant, which protects the body against damage caused by free radicals, cells that injure healthy cells. Help safeguard your inner workings with healthy almond dishes, such as Apricot and Almond Chicken Salad.
Who knew such a little food could make such a big impact on how the body works? These almond health benefits make this one superfood to regularly add to your meal and snack planning.
Find our fan-favorite recipes in one convenient ebook, complete with 101 clean-eating, delicious recipes. The SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection is a smart go-to cookbook.