PB&J, the clean eating way!
Just thinking about the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches your parents used to make for you as a child probably has you hankering for a bite of crunchy nut butter sweetened with ooey gooey fruit jam. Putting these two ingredients together inside a sandwich is the definition of comfort food. But traditionally, the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches of our youth were likely loaded with peanut butter packed with preservatives and jelly made with added refined sugar. Make a clean eating PB&J with our Clean Eating almond butter and jelly Sandwich.
Almond Butter and Jelly Sandwich
The key to making a clean eating almond butter and jelly sandwich with nut butter and jam is to choose your ingredients wisely. Look for a peanut butter, almond butter, or hazelnut butter made with all natural ingredients, free of added sugars and preservatives. When choosing a jam, look for an organic label with no added sugar. So many jellies and jams are packed with added sweeteners, but we like a fruit jam that derives its sweetness from the fruit itself. And choose a whole grain bread. The first ingredient in your loaf should be whole grains, and if you see ingredients such as oats, flax, barley, hemp seeds, and dates, then you know you’ve got a healthy slice of bread. Whole grain bread is full of fiber and nutrients, and is a complex carbohydrate that’s 100% guilt-free.
And if you’re up for a truly fresh, clean eating experience, make your own jam! Our recipe is a reader favorite. Tell us what you think!
Clean Eating Nut Butter and Jam Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons nut butter of your choice (clean eating), store-bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoon polaner all fruit spread of choice or other fruit-sweetened jam
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread or whole-grain sandwich bread
- Spread the nut butter on one slice of bread. Spread the jam on the other slice of bread. Put both pieces together, slice in half, and enjoy your almond butter and jelly sandwich!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Enjoyed this post? Check out more:
- PB and J Protein Shake
- Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam
- Clean Eating Blueberry Jam
- Yogurt & Blueberry Jam Popsicles
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.