Enjoy a healthier version of your favorite Italian comfort food in just 30 minutes!
We all get cravings for Italian comfort food, but tight schedules and healthy eating plans can stop us from indulging. If only there was an easy way to make a healthy and delicious dish… Well, you’re in luck because our Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan offers all of those things and more! With this recipe, you will indulge in guiltless tender chicken coated in a crispy crust, topped with tangy marinara sauce and melted cheese—all in just 30 minutes!
Watch How It’s Made!
Chicken Parmesan with a Twist
Air frying takes this beloved comfort food to a whole new level. By using hot air circulation, the air fryer creates a crispy exterior without the need for excessive oil. The result? A lighter version of Chicken Parmesan that doesn’t compromise on taste or texture.
Benefits of Air Fryer Recipes
Air fryers have gained popularity due to their ability to create crispy and delicious dishes with less oil. Here are some benefits of using an air fryer:
Healthier: Air frying reduces the amount of oil needed for cooking, making it a favorable alternative to deep-frying. Fats from oils used in deep frying have been associated with heart disease and high cholesterol. So, lower-fat cooking alternatives like air frying can help reduce your risk.
Time-Saving: Air fryers preheat quickly and cook food faster than traditional ovens, helping you get a satisfying meal on the table in less time.
Versatility: Air fryers can do more than fry! They can also grill, roast, and bake a wide range of dishes, expanding your culinary possibilities.
Easy Cooking: Air fryers are much more hands-off than other forms of cooking, like deep-frying and sauteing. And, with the air circulation technology, air fryers evenly distribute heat, ensuring consistent and perfectly cooked meals.
Tips on Using Your Air Fryer
For the best tasting air fryer chicken parmesan, we highly recommend following the tips below. This applies to pretty much every other air fryer recipe, as well!
- Preheat the air fryer before cooking to ensure even and consistent results.
- Have calories to spare? Lightly coat the food with oil, butter, or cooking spray for enhanced browning and crispiness.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket to allow proper air circulation. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Flip the food halfway through the cooking process for even browning.
Customize This Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Put your own twist on our air fryer chicken parmesan with these creative ideas:
Make it Spicy
If you enjoy a bit of heat, spice up your Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan with these options:
- Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the breading mixture for a fiery kick.
- Drizzle hot sauce or sriracha over the chicken before serving for an extra spicy twist.
- Include sliced jalapenos or sprinkle diced chili peppers on top for added heat and flavor.
Make it in the Oven
Don’t have an air fryer? No problem! You can still enjoy delicious chicken parmesan by making it in the oven. Here’s how:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Follow the recipe as instructed, including breading the chicken and topping it with marinara sauce and cheese.
- Place the breaded chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly. The internal temperature should read at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit when the chicken is fully cooked.
- Adjust the cooking time as needed based on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Make it Vegetarian
For a vegetarian twist on this classic dish, try these substitutions:
- Use eggplant! Just swap the chicken for sliced eggplant. Check out this Vegan Eggplant Parmesan recipe for more advice.
- Use firm tofu in place of the chicken.
Make it Gluten-Free
If you’re following a gluten-free diet, you can still enjoy air fryer chicken parmesan with these simple modifications:
- Substitute regular breadcrumbs with gluten-free breadcrumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers for the breading.
- Swap the whole wheat flour with gluten-free flour, like coconut flour, almond flour, or a blend.
- Double-check that all ingredients, including spices and sauces, are labeled gluten-free to ensure a safe and delicious gluten-free version of this classic dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
It is best to use thawed chicken for even cooking. If using frozen chicken, just make sure it is fully thawed before air frying.
How long does it take to cook Chicken Parmesan in the air fryer?
Cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts. As a general guideline, it takes approximately 15-20 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
Can I reheat Chicken Parmesan in the air fryer?
Yes, you can reheat leftover Chicken Parmesan in the air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (175°C) and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
Why is my chicken not crispy in the air fryer?
To achieve a crispy texture, ensure that you preheat the air fryer, lightly coat the chicken with oil or cooking spray, avoid overcrowding the basket, and adjust the cooking time or temperature if needed.
Is Parmesan the same as Parmigiana?
No, Parmesan refers to the cheese, specifically Parmigiano-Reggiano. Parmigiana, on the other hand, is a dish that typically includes breaded and fried meat or vegetables layered with tomato sauce and cheese, often topped with Parmesan.
How do you know when chicken is fully cooked?
Use a food thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Additionally, the juices should run clear, and the meat should no longer be pink or translucent.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
Discover the versatility of your air fryer with these mouthwatering recipes:
- Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower: Enjoy a healthier twist on classic buffalo wings with this recipe. Crispy and flavorful cauliflower florets are coated in a spicy buffalo sauce, making them a perfect appetizer or snack for game nights or gatherings.
- Air-Fried Fish Tacos with Coleslaw and Lime Crema: Elevate your taco night with these delicious air-fried fish tacos. Perfect for a quick and unique meal.
- Air Fryer Cod Fish Cakes: These air-fried cod fish cakes are a delightful seafood option. With a crispy exterior and a tender, flavorful filling, they make a tasty main course or appetizer.
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast 4 (4-ounce) fillets
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs large, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- cooking Spray
- 1 cup marinara sauce sugar-free
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- fresh parsley chopped, optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour, beaten eggs, and panko breadcrumbs in three separate shallow dishes. Mix the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, and basil together in the dish with the bread crumbs.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the chicken in the beaten eggs and then coat in the seasoned Panko breadcrumbs, pressing the crumbs onto the chicken to help them stick.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the breaded chicken in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching each other. Cook for 15-20 minutes (flipping half way) or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer and place on a lined baking sheet. Top each chicken breast with marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese, then broil in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more quick and healthy meals like this Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan? Follow us on Facebook and Pinterest, or subscribe to our eNewsletter to stay up to date on all of our latest and most popular recipes.