This crispy, savory, and low-calorie option is absolutely divine.
Wouldn’t it be great if you could bite into an egg roll without worrying about how it might affect your health or waistline? Well, thanks to our air fryer egg rolls recipe, now you can! This crispy, savory, and clean-eating option is absolutely divine. Plus, this recipe is so easy to make: It only requires a half-hour of your time.
Cleaning Up this Chinese Take-Out Classic
Chinese take-out is one of the most popular cuisines in America and there are probably one or two menu options that you always seem to gravitate towards. If egg rolls are a regular part of your take-out order, you’re in good company. According to a 2015 analysis done by an online meal ordering service, egg rolls ranked in the top three most popular take-out options in America!
I don’t think any of us are surprised that egg rolls are one of the most popular choices because, hello, they’re delicious! The problem is these deep-fried bundles of yummy goodness aren’t exactly supportive of your goal to get into better shape. But what is life without egg rolls? We couldn’t bear the thought! So we created this healthier, air fryer option!
Slashing Fat All Over
Traditional egg rolls from your local Chinese restaurant are deep-fried in oil. Any time you deep fry something, you add a considerable amount of unhealthy fat and calories to the dish. Our recipe only uses one single tablespoon of sesame oil to cook the turkey sausage, and then heart-healthy avocado oil cooking spray when it comes time to air fry the egg rolls. Eliminating the deep frying process can save you hundreds of calories.
Speaking of turkey sausage, this ingredient is leaner than pork, which is the most common meat found in egg roll recipes. This swap slashes fat and calories further without sacrificing flavor.
It’s also worth mentioning that homemade options are almost always better for you than ordering out. It may take a bit more effort than picking up the phone, but we promise it will be worth it. When you prepare your own food at home, you know exactly what you’re putting into your body!
The Best Ways to Serve These Healthy Air Fryer Egg Rolls
There are multiple ways and occasions to enjoy this recipe! You can make these egg rolls low-carb (and gluten-free) by serving them as an “egg roll in a bowl” instead of stuffing the filling into the egg roll wrappers. This can also save you some time. And if you need to save even more time, you can always prepare the filling ahead of time, too.
These air fryer egg rolls have plenty of flavor on their own, so no dipping sauces are required. That said, feel free to serve them with some spicy peanut sauce, sweet and sour sauce, or plum sauce for an extra flavor boost.
These egg rolls are always a hit as an appetizer at parties and get-togethers, but they make a great snack any regular day of the week as well! Our favorite way to eat them though is as a side dish to our many different homemade take-out main course options. They go great with any of these slimmed-down and delicious recipes:
Air Fryer Egg Roll Recipe
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 3 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1 carrot medium, shredded
- 3 scallions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- avocado oil cooking spray
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add turkey sausage and cook, stirring often to crumble, until cooked through. Drain excess fat from the sausage.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, green onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar to the skillet with the sausage. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until cabbage has softened a bit but is still a little crunchy. Set aside to cool.
- When the filling is cooled, place an egg roll wrapper on your work surface with one of the corners pointed down towards you (like a diamond). Add 1/4 cup of the filling to the center of the wrapper.
- Dip a finger in water and run it along the edges of the egg roll wrapper to help it seal. Fold the sides of the wrapper into the center. Fold the bottom edge into the center and tightly roll the eggroll away from you, creating a cylinder.
- Repeat the process with the remaining egg roll wrappers.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the egg rolls to the basket and spray them with the avocado oil cooking spray. Air fry for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on one side. Flip the egg rolls over and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until they’re crispy on both sides. You may have to cook the egg rolls in two batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Let us know what you thought about our air fryer egg rolls in the comment section below! Did you enjoy them on their own or try them as a side to one of our other healthy take-out alternatives? We want to know!