Are you planning something special for a loved one’s birthday, an Easter brunch, or a romantic breakfast for two? The challenge? To whip up something so decadent and enticing that your efforts are rewarded with applause, and repeated requests for the same treat year after year. What’s even more challenging? Making this indulgent feast clean and healthy, so that your special day isn’t loaded down with refined ingredients and unwanted fat and calories. Our Almond Blueberry Pancakes with Chocolate Ganache are exactly the gourmet, yet wholesome, pancake recipe you’re looking for.
Made with a combination of whole wheat flour and almond flour, these pancakes are just as light and fluffy as traditionally made pancakes, but without the refined flours that make classic pancake recipes a not-so-healthy choice. Almond milk and natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup are used instead of milk, cream, or white sugar, and your body will know the difference, even if your taste buds won’t be able to tell. Our chocolate ganache is made with dark chocolate, a healthier choice that contains the powerhouse antioxidants, flavonoids. Or you can choose to use our Skinny Nutella as your ganache, which has all of the delicious appeal of the traditional nocciola spread without the calories.
Need some more sweetness, and even more antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins? Top your pancakes with superfood blueberries for a healthy delight that your guests and loved ones will remember for years to come.
Yields: 18 small pancakes/ 6 servings | Serving Size: 3 pancakes with chocolate ganache and blueberries | Calories: 369 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 36 mg | Sodium: 153 mg | Carbohydrates: 59 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 31 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 16
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour (make your own by grinding 3/4 cups almonds in the blender until reduced to a powder and measuring out 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or dairy milk or coconut milk from a carton)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or butter, softened + more for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, chopped coarsely*
- 2 tablespoons chocolate liqueur or white chocolate liqueur (such as Godiva) or Irish Cream (such as Bailey's Irish Cream) * if none are available Kahlua or Frangelico would work
- 1/4 cup water
- Optional Skinny Nutella
- 1/4 cup strawberries (optional)
- Fresh mint (optional)
- Icing sugar homemade, made from coconut sugar(optional)
- Mix the flours, baking powder, milk, salt, 1 teaspoon butter, egg and sweetener in a bowl. Mix until smooth. Let it rest for at least half an hour in the refrigerator.
- If making chocolate ganache:
- In a bain-marie or water bath, melt the chocolate with 1/4 cup water. When the chocolate has completely melted, add liqueur. Let the alcohol evaporate, about 3 minutes, before turning off the fire. Set aside.
- Warm up a medium skillet. Rub a bit of coconut oil or butter so that the pancakes won't stick. Ladle some of the pancake mixture on the skillet then immediately drop some blueberries on the pancake. When the pancake starts to move easily on the skillet, cook the other side. Repeat until mixture is finished.
- To make smaller round shapes, use a cookie cutter with a 3-inch diameter. One pancake can yield 4 smaller pancakes.
- Optional Toppings:
- Pile 3 small pancakes alternating with the chocolate ganache.
- Pour the chocolate ganache on top then garnish with blueberries (and strawberries if you have) and fresh mint leaves, if using. Sprinkle with icing sugar, if using.
- Best when served warm.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.