The greatest thing about pesto sauce is that it is so versatile! Add a spoonful to your favorite sandwich or pasta, use it as a dipping sauce to create healthy side dishes, or spread it over barbecued meats… the possibilities are endless.
We love this Artichoke & Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto recipe because it adds just the right amount of zesty flavor to our meals. Perfect for artichoke dishes, the flavorful combination of artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and Italian cheeses takes ordinary recipes and makes them extraordinary!
Pesto is often overlooked when cooking pasta at home. A lot of people turn to their favorite staple – marinara sauce – only occasionally jazzing that up with ground turkey or roasted veggies. The other go-to alternative – alfredo – is often loaded with saturated fat and calories. Pesto sauce is a great alternative because it features fresh veggies, spices, and olive oil. The sauce contains a fair amount of fat, but it’s unsaturated fat. Also realize just a small amount of pesto sauce is needed to flavor your favorite dish. The taste is strong and aromatic, so a little goes a long way. If you love fresh, Italian-style flavors, give our sun dried tomato pesto dish a try!
Yields: 30 servings | Serving Size: 1 heaping tablespoon | Calories: 52 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 88 mg | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender, pulse until well combined. Stop 2-3 times and scrape the sides of processor. Serve immediately or store in a glass jar with lid and refrigerate. Pesto keeps for approximately 4-5 days.
- We love this pesto with pasta, as a dip or spread, on BBQ'd meats...the possibilities are endless.