Sweet sun dried tomatoes, fresh pesto, luscious Greek yogurt are tossed with pasta to create a salad that is so scrumptious, it may just become a favorite. A classic pesto, made with fresh basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts blends with yogurt to coat the pasta perfectly.
Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad can be made ahead and taken to lunch, or served as a side with a dinner entrée, such as:
Yields: 8.5 | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 190 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 5 | Carbohydrates:14 g | Sodium: 97 mg | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints: 6
- 1 (12 ounce box) whole wheat Rotini pasta, optional penne or ziti
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt, plain (I used 2% which is reflected in the nutritional data)
- 1/2 cup Pesto, click for Basil & Spinach Pesto recipe
- 3/4 cups (coarsely chopped) sun-dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil and drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse with cold water and chill. Combine yogurt with pesto, add to cold pasta and toss to coat. Add sun-dried tomatoes and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add fresh basil leaves for garnish.
- NOTE: We prefer to serve our pasta salad immediately or soon after preparing because the olive oil, in the pesto, tends to get thick after several hours in the fridge.
- Tip: When chopping sun-dried tomatoes, discard the ends which tend to be tough.