This zesty Veggie & Pesto Sandwich recipe is the perfect way to add a little flair to your summer fare! Made with fresh vegetables, olive oil, whole-grain bread, and just the right amount of pesto. This tasty treat is a Superfood Sensation! Try a Veggie & Pesto Sandwich with a cup of our Skinny Fruit and Yogurt Salad for a lunchtime meal that is perfect for a summer day.
You might also like these other SkinnyMs. favorites:
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 sandwich | Calories: 260 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 8 mg | Sodium: 516 mg | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8 |
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ¼ slices red bell peppers, cored, seeded, roasted
- 8 pieces artisan whole grain bread
- ¼ cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed arugula
- ¼ cup Pesto (Basil & Spinach Pesto recipe)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If roasting your own bell peppers, slice into fourths, place on a cookie sheet, drizzle with 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and roast for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing peeling. Roasted peppers can be purchased at your local grocery.
- In a small skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil, heat to medium-low and sauté mushrooms until soft, about 8 minutes.
- While mushrooms sauté, place bread cut side up on a cookie sheet, toast until lightly golden. Remove toast, add 1 tablespoon mozzarella, continue toasting until cheese melts. Remove bread from oven and top with pesto, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes and arugula.