Mmmmm Chicken Wraps! Crunchy, healthy and flavorful; you can’t beat a dish like this. The delicate butter lettuce leaves provide a low carbohydrate wrapper for the tender chicken and veggies. The carrots and bell pepper are superfoods that bump up the nutritional value. This recipe is low calorie and high energy which makes for a great lunch to get you through a long workday.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 wrap | Calories: 248 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Sodium: 151 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1-inch knob ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional Tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 large butter lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Toast sesame seeds in a dry pan over low to medium heat for 1- 2 minutes, stirring constantly just until golden and fragrant. Set aside.
- For the Dressing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once oil is hot (shimmering but not smoking) add chicken strips. Cook until the chicken is golden on all sides and cooked through. Remove chicken strips and set aside. Add to the skillet remaining oil, carrots, red pepper strips, and ginger. Cook until veggies are only slightly tender and still on the crisp side. During the last 30 seconds add the minced garlic and cook just until fragrant. Return chicken to the skillet with the veggies and add dressing, toss to coat.
- To assemble:
- Assemble wraps by laying down lettuce leaf, add the chicken and veggies. Top each wrap with sliced green onions.