With their scrumptious flavor and low-carb nutritional profile, Asian lettuce cups are getting a lot of attention lately. These nutritious Asian Ground Chicken Cups are no exception! The oh-so simple recipe calls for lean ground chicken, clean veggies, and garnishes like bell pepper, and grated ginger. Large lettuce leaves cradle the chicken and veggie mixture and offer a cold, juicy contrast to the warm and chewy meat.
Bean sprouts top the vibrant lettuce cups, adding a delicate crunch to the dish. As a plus, we’ve chosen lower sodium soy sauce to keep your salt intake in check. These yummy cups make the ultimate Asian-style appetizer to treat your dinner party guests or to enjoy as a light lunch!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 cups | Calories: 224 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 294mg | Carbohydrates: 6g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 22g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce, optional Tamari
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 8 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup bean sprouts, well cleaned (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inches peeled ginger, grated
- Add ground chicken to a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Allow to cook until there is no pink color and chicken is cooked through. Drain off any fat and place chicken in a bowl while preparing other ingredients.
- Add to the same skillet the sesame oil, ginger, bell pepper, and (optional) sprouts. Cook on medium-low for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Return chicken to skillet and add soy sauce. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Fill each of the lettuce cups with an even amount of the meat mixture. Top with the fresh scallions and enjoy!
Love the chicken cups? Hungry for more skinny twists on your favorite recipes? Let us know! Leave a comment below.