Everyone craves fries every now and then. There are few better things than biting into a crisp, hot, and salty fry. Are you salivating yet? Good! Because we have the perfect healthy alternative to your typical fatty fast food fry: our Baked Asparagus Fries with Creamy Chipotle Dip.
These asparagus fries have all the crisp deliciousness of a potato fry, but they are baked in order to avoid those pesky empty calories that come from frying oil. Our chipotle dip uses greek yogurt to achieve the same texture as many milk and egg based dips without loading up on the fat and sugar.
You can whip up a batch in just 20 minutes, so grab some asparagus and enjoy a batch of our baked asparagus fries without guilt.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 156 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 15g | Sodium: 246mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints: 5
- 1 pound asparagus spears
- 1/3 cup whole grain breadcrumbs, optional Panko
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle peppers (more or less depending on the spice level desired)
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed and minced
- Kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Trim ends of asparagus spears.
- In a small mixing bowl combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Dip asparagus into milk and dredge into bread crumbs to coat all sides. Note: It may be necessary to press crumbs onto asparagus to ensure the crumbs stick.
- Lightly mist a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray. and arrange asparagus sprears on cookie sheet so the spears are not touching. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
What’s your favorite fry alternative? Let us know in the comments!