Pork dishes are perfect for the fall and winter months. This lean pork with apples, carrots, and green beans is nutritious and makes a full meal in and of itself. Use thick-cut pork chops so that the meat doesn’t cook too quickly. The thicker cut will help it stay nice and tender, by preventing it from drying out.
Some slow cookers get warmer than others, even on the low setting. If possible, check the meat after 3 to 4 hours, so as not to overcook it. Vegetables take longer to cook, and should be placed at the bottom of the crockpot, with the meat on top. 1 cup of liquid, such as a broth or water, is usually enough to add when cooking meat in the slow cooker.
Browning the meat on both sides before putting it in the slow cooker makes the pork more flavorful. In general, meat (but not poultry) should be quickly browned on all sides before adding it to the slow cooker for any recipe. This dish would be delicious with potatoes or rice.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size:1 porkchop with 1/4 of the vegetables and apples | Calories: 318 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 78 mg | Carbohydrates: 28 g | Sodium: 234 mg | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 18 g | Protein: 27 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10 |
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds thick (about 3/4-inches) pork chops, trimmed of any fat
- 2 heaping cups largely chopped carrots (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups green beans, tough ends removed
- 3 apples such as Granny Smith or McIntosh, cored and cut into 1-inch thick wedges
- 1 cup fat-free and low sodium chicken stock, vegetable stock or pork stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or shoyu or coconut aminos
- 1/4 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the marinade in a large bowl, and add the pork chops, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place pork chops and in a hot pan on the stove top and sear both sides, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes over high heat on each side, until just the outside of each pork chop is browned. Remove the pork chops from the pan. Add the marinade to the hot pan and scrape the bottom for any bits.
- Add the stock and vegetables to the slow cooker, and place the meat on top. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the pork chops are cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve.
How do you eat healthy during the cooler months? Tell us about your favorite clean-eating comfort food recipe below.