Who can resist a salad that has it all?
Chick full of protein, fiber, and antioxidant-rich veggies, this salad is sustaining, satisfying, and nutritious. Barley is high in fiber, making it a healthy whole grain, while chickpeas and fava beans add their own dose of flavor and a hit of protein. Tomatoes and peas are loaded with nutrients, and a refreshing hint of mint and basil elevate this salad’s flavor profile. Easy prep makes it a great weekday lunch, and its sophistication allows it to shine when guests drop by!
Barley Salad with Chickpeas, Fava Beans & Peas
- 7 ounces pearl barley
- 7 ounces chickpeas pre-cooked, rinsed and drained
- 7 ounces peas fresh, shelled (weighed after shelling from about 2 pounds of pods)
- 7 ounces fava beans fresh, shelled (weighed after shelling from about 2 pounds of pods)
- 1/2 to 1 lime or lemon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- mint leaves fresh, finely chopped plus whole for garnishing
- basil leaves fresh, finely chopped plus whole for garnishing
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare 2 saucepans with water.
- In one saucepan, add the pearl barley and salt then bring to a boil over medium to high heat. When it boils, simmer on low fire for 20 minutes or until they are tender. When they are cooked, rinse under the tap, drain, and set aside.
- Bring the other saucepan to a boil over high heat then add some salt. Drop the peas and cook for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, strain them then drop them in a bowl of iced water for an ice bath. Let them cool down, strain then set aside.
- In the same saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the fava beans for 3 minutes, strain, and drop them in the bowl of iced water for an ice bath. Strain when they have cooled down. Remove the outer skin by pinching the beans lightly. Set the beans aside.
- In a big serving bowl, mix the peas, fava beans, barley, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, mint, and basil.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, mix the extra virgin olive oil, lime or lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing on the salad before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.