5 ingredients + 5 minutes = the perfect warm weather dessert!
Whip up this fresh and delightful treat in just a few easy steps! The combination of fresh, chilled berries and coconut cream in this dish will be the highlight of your season all summer long. Enjoy it for breakfast, as a side at brunch, as a midday snack, or even a sweet treat after dinner! Plus, it’s a great red, white, and blue option for celebrating the 4th of July!
Classic Berries and Cream
Berries and cream is a classic dessert in many cultures. We’ve put a little spin on this traditional dessert by making our own homemade coconut cream, whipped to perfection to sit atop our beautiful berries. Our coconut cream recipe is vegan, too, so everyone can enjoy this dessert!
Healthy Vegan Dessert
Along with our fluffy vegan coconut whipped cream, berries are another star player in this recipe. The blueberries and strawberries in this recipe are packed with healthy nutrients like fiber, antioxidants, and important vitamins like vitamin C and E. Research shows both of these berries support healthy hair and skin, digestion, and immune health.
Tips for Coconut Whipped Cream
To get your coconut cream absolutely perfect, there’s a few easy steps to complete beforehand. The goal here is to make sure everything is cold. When the coconut cream gets warm, it is a lot more difficult to get it to whip and form peaks. So, the colder your ingredients and materials are, the better.
- Start by refrigerating your coconut cream the day before. This will allow the fat to separate from the liquid in the can so that you can easily skim it off the top.
- With that in mind, it’s also important to not tip your can over once you’ve let it separate, because it will just mix together again.
- Chill your bowl and electric mixer whisks before whipping your coconut cream. This will keep the coconut cream from getting warm while it’s being whipped. Chilling for at least 10 minutes before using should do the trick!
Whip Up this Dessert
Now that you know all about prepping your coconut cream, you’re ready to create this classic dessert!
Start by chilling your coconut cream overnight. When you are ready to prep, remove the coconut cream from the fridge without shaking or flipping it over and gently remove the lid. Scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid behind. Pour the thickened coconut cream in your chilled mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer for 30 seconds to 1 minute until creamy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix for another minute or so, until it’s creamy and soft peaks form. However, you’ll want to avoid overwhipping because it can cause separation. Combine the sliced strawberries and blueberries in a bowl and top with coconut cream. Serve and enjoy!
Berries with Coconut Cream
- 7.5 ounces coconut cream full fat
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup powder sugar
- 2 cups strawberries fresh, sliced
- 2 cups blueberries fresh
- Chill the coconut cream overnight.
- When you are ready to prep, remove the coconut cream from the fridge without shaking or flipping it over to make sure the layers don't mix. Gently remove the lid.
- Scrape out the top layer of thickened cream and pour into a bowl.
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer for 30 seconds to 1 minute until creamy.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix for another minute or so or until it’s creamy and soft peaks form, being sure not to overwhip and cause separation
- Divide your mixed berries up into 6 serving bowls (about 2/3 cup each) and top with coconut cream (about 1/4 cup)!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms. Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter, like our Facebook page, and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.